The Adamsville area was originally surveyed by David Crockett and named for George G. Adams, the first settler of what began as a Native American trading post. The town grew in the mid-1800s when settlers came from the east; one area was even referred to as “North Carolina” because so many people had moved from there. During the Civil War, Union troops occupied the town, which was just a collection of cabins and dirt roads at the time. Officially incorporated in 1870, the community was heavily agricultural until the 1940s when the textile industry came to the area, employing many women as shirtmakers. Adamsville was famously the home of Buford Pusser, sheriff of McNairy County. Today, it calls itself the “Biggest Little Town in Tennessee,” and exudes down-home charm and hometown pride.