Robertson County Courthouse Square
State Highway 49 and U.S. Highway 41
Springfield, TN 0Phone:
Springfield, a major tobacco center, was also an occupied town for most of the Civil War. Federal troops arrived in the spring 1862 and quickly garrisoned the town, especially around the county courthouse that stood on a high hill overlooking the railroad tracks. By late 1863, a training camp for U.S. Colored Troops operated in Springfield. In 1864, the 15th Infantry of the U.S.C.T. under the command of col. Thomas Downey, was headquartered on the west side of the square. Federal troops also used the older sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church, located at 200 5th Avenue West, as a horse stable and for storage. The Robertson County Museum, which is located in a historic early 20th century post office building to the southwest of the square, has exhibits about the Civil War and Reconstruction eras.