The Bible was presented to Captain Thomas H. Conway's Company C, Fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry by the Ladies of Paris on the Henry County Courthouse steps on May 24, 1861. The company was known as the Harris Guards for at this time Isam G. Harris was governor of the state. The bible, printed in 1860 by J. P, Lippincott and Co. in Philadelphia, PA, contains a hand-written account of every man who left with Company C and what happened to them. Many of the soldiers listed still have descendants in Henry County today. The bible survived several battles including Shiloh. Captain Conway died from injuries received at the Battle of Shiloh.
October 1, 2012 - October 1, 2013
View on map