Civil War Trails Program
The Civil War Trails program is a multi-state initiative that creates driving tours and interpretive markers for both famous and lesser known Civil War sites. The program has placed "Trailblazer" signs and markers with maps and text at more than 700 sites through out the U.S. and provides maps and other literature for Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Tennessee. For a list of historic markers placed as part of this program, click here.
Parkers Crossroads Battlefield
Intersection of I-40 and TN 22 North (Exit 108) — A Confederate cavalry force under Gen. N.B. Forrest was nearly trapped here by converging Union forces Dec. 31, 1862. Forrest was returning from a raid during which he destroyed Union railroad lines carrying supplies for the building Federal offensive against Vicksburg. Union pursuers caught up with him at Parker's Crossroads.
City: Parkers Crossroads
Lexington Senior Citizens Center
145 S. Main Street — Union Gen. Robert Ingersoll surrendered his command of about 150 (and two pieces of artillery) here after trying to stop Forrest near Lexington Dec. 18, 1862. The Federals did slow the Confederates down a little, but Union positions near Beech Creek were quickly overrun. Forrest's troopers then continued toward Jackson.
1550 Thompson's Station Road West — Confederate cavalry attacked a Federal position here Nov. 29, 1864 alarming Union Gen. John Schofield as he attempted to slip his troops and supplies past large numbers of Southern infantry at Spring Hill, south of here. Unable to put a coordinated attack together, the confused Confederates allowed the Union troops to pass on toward Franklin.
City: Thompson's Station
1345 Carnton Lane — Bloodstains remain on the floors of this fine 1826 mansion, home of the McGavocks during the war. Confederate troops passed through the grounds en route to their disastrous encounter with the Federals entrenched nearby, and the home served as a field hospital for hundreds following the fighting.
1140 Columbia Ave — This brick house, located on the Columbia Pike and about the center of the Union line, became the focal point of Confederate attacks. The bullet-scarred house and outbuildings are a natural place to start a tour of the Franklin battlefield.
Dr. McPhail's Office
209 E. Main Street — Union Gen. John Schofield established his headquarters in this small building and the home of Dr. Daniel Cliffe early in the day, Nov. 30, 1864.
1111 Columbia Ave. — Fighting was severe near this 1858 home as Union reserves under Gen. Emerson Opdycke moved forward from here to confront a Confederate breakthrough. The house became a hospital after the battle.
Columbia Pike and Mack Hatcher Memorial Parkway — This was the Confederate "jumping off" place for the attacks at Franklin. Nice park includes interpretive exhibits and memorials. A bas-relief map of the battlefield is a good orientation from here. Park open daylight hours.
McGavock Confederate Cemetery
1345 Carnton Lane — This small cemetery formed in the spring of 1866 to relocate the Confederates killed at Franklin, many of whom were buried where they fell during the battle. This well-cared-for spot is the largest private military cemetery in the country.
Confederate Eastern Flank
1345 Carnton Lane — The beginning of the advance of the Confederate right wing, which formed under Federal artillery fire near the Carnton house.
Pinkerton Park, 407 Murfreesboro Road — Strong Federal position on the north bank of the Harpeth River delivered artillery fire into the Confederate attack during the battle. Well-preserved fort gives nice perspective opposite the Winstead Hill site.
See more July events »