Civil War Trails Program
The Civil War Trails program is a multi-state initiative that creates driving tours and interpretive markers for both famous and lesser known Civil War sites. The program has placed "Trailblazer" signs and markers with maps and text at more than 700 sites through out the U.S. and provides maps and other literature for Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Tennessee. For a list of historic markers placed as part of this program, click here.
239 Franklin Road — Federal cavalry attacked the Confederate rear guard here Dec. 17, forcing the Southerners into a narrow escape and temporary safety across the Harpeth River.
St. Paul's Church, 510 W. Main St. — With a population of fewer than 1,000 at the time of the battle, Franklin was overwhelmed by the estimated 4,000 Union and Confederate wounded left behind. Private residences, barns, public buildings and churches (including St. Paul's) were used to care for the injured.
418 Lewisburg Ave. — Confederates under Gen. William Loring attacking over this ground toward the Union left were forced to try to cut through the thorny branches of Osage orange hedges while under intense fire from infantry and artillery. Southern losses were appalling here.
Carter Cotton Gin
109 Cleburne Street — Entrenchments here were the heart of the Union defensive line at Franklin and the focus of Confederate Gen. Patrick Cleburne's division during the attack. Fighting here was ferocious as waves of Southerners attempted to storm the breastworks.
Franklin Gateway - William County Courthouse
Historic Downtown Franklin on the Square — Provides a map of the sites in the area interpreted through the Tenenssee Civil War Trails program. Please drive with care as you follow the route of Hood's Campaign.
183 W. Main Street — This was the home of Tennessee governor (1849-1851), diplomat and soldier William Trousdale. During the Union occupation here, he was regarded as an "elder statesman" despite his strong support for the Confederacy and was called upon by both sides to resolve disputes. Both of his sons were seriously wounded while serving in the Confederate army.
Battle of Lebanon
Public Square (119 Public Square — Following the battle of Shiloh in April 1862, Confederate cavalryman John Hunt Morgan conducted a raid through Tennessee and Kentucky aiming to disrupt Union supply lines. After several encounters with Union pursuers, Morgan camped here in Lebanon's Public Square. Finally catching up with Morgan, Federals under Gen. Ebenezer Dumont burst into town surprising Morgan's men, who fled through town. Morgan's losses were severe with nearly 50 men killed and 150 captured.
Mt. Pleasant City Square
100 Public Square — On April 20, 1861, a hundred local men under Capt. Daniel F. Wade were sworn into Confederate service as the Bigby Greys. The unit was surrendered at Fort Donelson in February 1862 and later paroled.
City: Mt. Pleasant
200 E Broadway Street — A June 19, 1863, Union raid and subsequent Federal occupation changed the lives of the owners of the 2,700-acre plantation along the railroad line here. The Lenoir family later claimed damages of more than $70,000 including losses of livestock, timber and grain.
City: Lenoir City
Bank Street at East Depot Street — On June 19, 1863, in an effort to cripple Confederate held railroads in the area, Union troop led by Col. William P. Sanders attacked, destroying the depot, general store and Confederate military supplies here. According to local tradition, the mill was spared due to the exchange of Masonic signs between the owner and the Union military.
City: Lenoir City
Memphis Gateway - Shelby County Visitor Center
12036 Arlington Trail, Arlington — On June 19, 1863, in an effort to cripple Confederate held railroads in the area, Union troop led by Col. William P. Sanders attacked, destroying the depot, general store and Confederate military supplies here. According to local tradition, the mill was spared due to the exchange of Masonic signs between the owner and the Union military.