Civil War Trails Program
The Civil War Trails program is a multi-state initiative that creates driving tours and interpretive markers for both famous and lesser known Civil War sites. The program has placed "Trailblazer" signs and markers with maps and text at more than 700 sites through out the U.S. and provides maps and other literature for Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Tennessee. For a list of historic markers placed as part of this program, click here.
147 County Hill Road — This is where Union forces stood as they attacked Blountville on September 22, 1863, during a campaign to control the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad.
Masonic Female Institute
251 Franklin Drive — Confederate troops stood in the former schoolyard of the Masonic Female Institute as they defended Blountville on September 22, 1863.
201 E Main Street — The brick depot was constructed in 1854 in Niota, then known as Mouse Creek. It is the only Civil War-era depot surviving along the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad line.
The Affair at Travisville
Forbus General Store, 3902 N York Highway, Pall Mall — The first military action of the Civil War in Tennessee occurred on September 29, 1861, at Travisville. It was a brief engagement, but it brought the reality of the conflict home to the people of the Cumberland Mountains.
Big Creek Gap
Lafollette Utilities Building, 302 N Tennessee Ave — One of the few natural openings through the Cumberland Mountains in the region, the road winds through Big Creek Gap. This corridor was much narrower and steeper during the Civil War, which made travel difficult for even the lightest wagons.
County: Campbell County
Old Gray Cemetery
543 N. Broadway — The cemetery is the final resting place for both Union and Confederate veterans. As Knoxville was home to sympathizers to both sides, it's fitting that both are represented in this place.
Tipton-Haynes Historic Site
2620 S Roan Street — This is the former home of Landon Carter-Haynes, a well-known lawyer and politician who rallied for Tennessee's secession from the Union. He was born in Carter County but moved to Memphis following a 1862-1865 Congressional term for fear of retribution by Union supporters in his East Tennessee home.
City: Johnson City
Pottertown Bridge Burners
1270 Pottertown Road — A memorial to the Unionists who burned area railroad bridges Nov. 8, 1861, stands in this cemetery along with the remains of two of the men hanged for the effort. The plans for the burnings, with strong support from the government in Washington, were made in this area. About 60 men took part.
108 N. Irish Street — The mansion was the home of Catharine Dickson Williams and Dr. Alexander Williams. Among their many guests, they entertained Davy Crockett, John C. Calhoun, Henry Clay, South Carolina Gov. Wade Hampton and his daughters.
201 Fort Hill Drive — This earthen fort protected the Union army-operated railroad that ran from Johnsonville on the Tennessee River to Nashville. The site also was headquarters for the 13th U.S. Colored Troops, which was in part manned by fugitive slaves. These men helped both build and protect this important rail supply line.
Sugar Creek Engagement
Old Red Store, 440 Appleton Road — Following the battle of Nashville and the resulting retreat of the Army of Tennessee, Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's troops, who were screening the march south, were camped near here. On Dec. 26, Union cavalry attacked, hoping to catch the Confederates before they crossed the Tennessee River. Forrest's men successfully repelled the attack and the Army of Tennessee crossed the river unmolested.
City: Five Points
Charleston on the Hiwassee
Charleston City Park, 117 Worth St — The East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad bridge here — connecting Knoxville and Chattanooga -- was an important supply line and tempting target during the war. Union loyalists burned it in Nov. 1861 and both sites damaged it during the war. Confederates raided a Union wagon train here Dec. 28, 1863.
See more June events »