Civil War Trails Program
The Civil War Trails program is a multi-state initiative that creates driving tours and interpretive markers for both famous and lesser known Civil War sites. The program has placed "Trailblazer" signs and markers with maps and text at more than 700 sites through out the U.S. and provides maps and other literature for Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Tennessee. For a list of historic markers placed as part of this program, click here.
Cleveland During the Civil War
Museum Center at Five Points, 200 Inman St East — Confederates occupied the area early in part to control the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad. The railroad and the station here caught the attention of Abraham Lincoln, who compared the taking of this place to the Òtaking and holding of Richmond.Ó Following the Battle of Missionary Ridge, Nov. 25, 1863, Union troops occupied and fortified the town, holding off a Confederate cavalry raid Aug. 17, 1864.
Gallatin Public Square
132 W Main St — With the Cumberland River nearby and the Louisville and Nashville Railroad running just northwest of here, Gallatin was a logistics hub for the Union army, which occupied the area in February 1862. It was a target of Confederate raids throughout the war. After a destructive raid by John Hunt Morgan in August 1862, Union forces fortified the town. Civil War-era buildings survive in town.
4580 Rachel's Lane — Although no Civil War battles were fought here, the war touched Andrew Jackson's farm in other ways. Jackson had been a firm Unionist during his presidency. However, after his death, his adopted son Andrew Jackson Jr. and his wife, Sarah, supported the South.
Confederate Soldiers' Home Cemetery
4580 Rachel's Lane — Of the 700 veterans who lived in the Soldiers' Home almost 500 are buried in the Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Home Cemetery.
3148 Kingston Pike — This fine mansion, completed in 1858, was the headquarters for Confederate Gens. James Longstreet and Lafayette McLaws during the siege of Knoxville in November 1863. The tower was a good vantage point to view the Battle of Fort Sanders about a mile away.
Denmark Presbyterian Church
2799 Denmark Jackson Road — Union infantry camped on the grounds of this 1854 church prior to the Battle of Britton Lane, and Confederates kept prisoners here after the fighting. Local Confederate soldiers attended services here after final Union occupation in 1863. But they had to be careful. A Union patrol bursting into the church forced the attending Southerners to hide under their girlfirends' hooped skirts.
Railroad Gateway to the Deep South
I-40 at Highway 45 bypass — After taking control of Jackson's railroads in 1862, Union forces used the transportation center as a supply line for the Mississippi campaigns. Jackson then became a target for Confederate raiders resulting in the battles at Britton Lane and Salem Cemetery. Famed Confederate cavalry commander occupied Jackson during this first Tennessee Raid in December 1862.
The Civil War in Granville
169 Clover St. — This Cumberland River port was a contested area throughout the war. Most of the citizens in town backed the Confederates. Sidney Stanton, a prominent local attorney and state senator, enlisted as a private and later was promoted to colonel after recruiting more than 1,000 men. He was killed during the Atlanta Campaign in 1864.
Death of John Hunt Morgan
108 N. Irish St — Confederate cavalry hero Gen. John Hunt Morgan spent the last night of his life in this Greeneville showplace built in 1821. He was ambushed and killed in the home's garden Sept. 4, 1864.
Hangings at the Depot
103 Loretta St — After Union sympathizers burned several area railroad bridges in November 1861, Confederate military authorities arrived to rebuild the bridges and catch the perpetrators. Two of the bridge burners were captured and held until they were hanged Nov. 30.
60 Shiloh Rd — The students of Tusculum College were largely divided in their loyalties during the Civil War as both Federal and Confederate forces camped in and around the building.