209 E. Main Street
Franklin, TN 37064
This small building (constructed in 1817 by Dr. Daniel McPhail) was the medical office of Dr. Daniel Cliffe, who lived nearby, in 1864. Cliffe, a former Confederate surgeon, had switched his allegiance to the Union early in the war. After dawn on November 30, 1864, Federal Gen. John M. Schofield arrived in Franklin and established his headquarters in Cliffe’s house and office.
- Headquarters of Federal Gen. John M. Schofield