535 Tennessee Ave South
Parsons, TN 38363
The residents of Wayne County supported the Union almost unanimously until the fighting began. After the Confederate bombardment of Fort Sumter in April 1861, the majority in the northern portion of the county shifted their allegiance to the Confederacy, while most residents of the southern portion remained loyal to the Union. Both sides raised companies during the war. The first companies supporting the Confederacy became part of Col. Jacob B. Biffle’s 9th Tennessee Cavalry. Local Unionists joined Co. A, 10th Tennessee Cavalry at first and later formed the 2nd Tennessee Mounted Infantry under Col. John Murphy.