Learn more about The Little Courthouse.
The two-story log building was constructed on Court Square in 1824 to serve as the first courthouse and jail in the newly formed Hardeman County. David Crockett spoke in this courthouse while running for his first elected office. In 1827, a new courthouse was built, and Levi Joy, a settler from Boston, moved the building to its present location and used it as his home for a short period of time, while building his townhouse across the street. Next, Dr. Thomas Moore owned the building, additions were later made in 1849 and it passed through his heirs, and the Hardaway family until 1967. It now functions as our county’s museum. In 2006, the Honorable Judge Chip Cary held General Sessions Court in the old courtroom. This made it Tennessee's oldest "active" log courthouse. On June 2015, the County Mayor Jimmy Sain, held the County's Commissioners Meeting at the Little Courthouse Museum and passed the county's $48 MILLION financial budget for the 2016 physical year for the county. This was the first time the County Commission had held a meeting in the old courtroom since 1827. This meeting still keeps the old building's status as an "active" courthouse. Our museum has information about our early settlers, Indians and civil war stories and artifacts. You won't leave disappointed! Bolivar has over 200 buildings and homes on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places... here are a few: http://www.historicbolivartn.com/
215 Market St E
215 E. Market St.
Bolivar, TN 38008
Still exploring? Try these popular ideas in and around Bolivar.