The Battle of Franklin was the last great battle of the American Civil War. Fate and circumstance placed the small town of Franklin in the path of two great armies in late November 1864. On November 30, 1864, the Battle of Franklin raged across the fields south of town, scarring the landscape, claiming the lives of thousands and changing life on the Carnton and Carter farms forever.
Carnton was built in 1826 and was originally owned by former Nashville mayor Randal McGavock (1768-1843).). Throughout the nineteenth century it was frequently visited by those shaping Tennessee and American history, including President Andrew Jackson. Carnton grew to become one of the premier farms in Williamson County, Tennessee. Randal McGavock’s son John (1815-1893) inherited the farm upon his father’s death. John McGavock married Carrie Elizabeth Winder (1829-1905) in December 1848 and they had five children, three of whom died at young ages - Martha (1849-1862); Mary Elizabeth (1851-1858); and John Randal (1854). The surviving children were Winder (1857-1907) and Hattie (1855-1932).
Sunday: 11 a.m.- 5 p.m CST
Last tour of the day begins at 4:00 p.m
For the most up-to-date hours and information, please contact Carnton directly.