Learn more about Bridal House .
In 1795, Thomas Cotton founded the area of Sumner County that became known as "Cottontown." Thomas Cotton had been a captain of the North Carolina militia during the Revolutionary War and he was taken prisoner by the British; held for seven months, he had scars on his wrists for the rest of his life from being held in chains during the war. Moore Cotton, son of Thomas Cotton, owned over 600 acres in Sumner County and was known for his racehorse breeding business. Moore Cotton built the Bridal House for his only daughter, Elizabeth "Betsy" Cotton when she married Richard Hobdy in 1819. Hobdy was a blacksmith, farmer, and later a Justice of the Peace. The house is architecturally significant and recognized primarily for its construction with unusually large logs, measuring about 3ft in width.
Most the pieces in the house are original Tennessee-made furniture that dates between 1819-1860 in conjunction with the years the Hobdys occupied the dwelling.
2315 Highway 25 W
Cottontown, TN 37048