Learn more about Marble Springs Historic Site.
Marble Springs was the last home of John Sevier, one of the state's founding fathers and the first governor of Tennessee, serving six full terms. In 1776, Sevier was elected one of the five magistrates of the Watauga Association, the first attempt at democratically elected government in America. He helped fund and lead the famous sharpshooting Overmountain Men, who routed Major Patrick Ferguson's men in the Battle of Kings Mountain, and charged the highest point of the British position to take the mountaintop. Returning form Kings Mountain, he led the militia in the Cherokee and Chickamauga Wars. He served as president of a constitutional convention held in Jonesborough to establish the State of Franklin, and was the first and only governor of the "Lost State of Franklin." He became brigadier general of the Southwest Territory and served in Congress from 1811 until his death in 1815. Marble Springs State Historic Site is located on a scenic 35.5 acre portion of the original John Sevier Farm. The main cabin, built circa 1800, still stands today on the site where it was originally constructed. Sevier named his farm "Marble Springs" because of the Tennessee Rose Marble deposits and six springs that were located on the property. Sevier continued to live at the farm until his death in 1815. Today, the Governor John Sevier Memorial Association, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, continues the preservation, interpretation and general management of the site. Marble Springs is home to six additional structures that give visitors a glimpse into Late 18th and Early 19th-century life. Marble Springs State Historic Site is on the National Register of Historic Places.