The falls are not for the faint-of-heart, but a real challenge to the seasoned hiker. Gentry's Falls was named after Joseph Gentry. Joseph sold his iron works in Roan Creek around 1796 to Nathaniel Taylor. He then moved to Laurel Bloomery near Rogers Creek. Joseph pioneered 800 acres of land. The area had a creek flowing through it. This creek has been know as Gentry's Creek ever since. Gentry's son, William Gentry, and John Wills established an iron works on the creek around 1800.
At the head of Gentry's Creek two beautiful waterfalls flow, each about 30 to 40 feet high. The water flows west through Laurel Bloomery and joins Ackerson Creek. These two creeks join and flow north to Damascus, Virginia. In Damascus they join White Top Creek and flow into the South Fork of the Holston River.