Mouse Creek Nursery is owned by Erbin and Ruth Baumgardner. Started in November, 1982, with one greenhouse, today the nursery has over 22,000 square feet of growing area in heated and cold frame houses.
Today, Mouse Creek Nursery grows more than 800 varieties of hardy herbaceous perennials. In addition they grow more than 300 varieties of unusual annuals, and some 60 annual and perennial herbs. We sell both wholesale and retail. The majority of wholesale business is with small garden centers and landscapers. Retail trade comes from Chattanooga, Knoxville, Cleveland, Athens and the North Georgia area.
Also located on the property is the historic Walnut Grove Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1855. The church was located about 1 mile south of the nursery, and had been abandoned for over 50 years. The Baumgardners moved the church to the nursery in 1989, and took another 10 years to complete the restoration. The building is used for gardening lectures, garden club meetings, and weddings. A special candle light Christmas service is held each year for the community.