Post-Civil War courthouse reflecting the area's patriotism with monuments honoring the fallen of all wars. Public square features quaint shops. In April 1865, a company of Confederate guerrillas led by Captain John Francis made a raid on Livingston and burned the county courthouse. U.S. authorities had collected information about the pro-Confederate activities of many local residents and this material was stored in the courthouse, awaiting use in trails. By destroying the courthouse and the evidence against them these residents were saved from being placed on trial.
For the most up-to-date hours and information, please contact Livingston Historic Courthouse & Square directly.