Discover Carter County
Plan your trip today! Download the Discovery Tour Sheet to find special offers for your personal tour of a Retire TN community.
Sycamore Shoals Hospital
- Hospital services include 24/7 Emergency Department, Accredited Chest Pain Center, Inpatient and Outpatient Surgical Services, Advanced Diagnostic Imaging, Intensive Care Unit and an Inpatient Geropsych Unit
- Dual Certification by The Joint Commission in Chest Pain and Heart Failure
- 4 Star Overall Quality Rating by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Voted Top 3 Cleanest Hospital in the state by Becker’s Review for 2016
- Two state parks: Sycamore Shoals and Roan Mountain
- State’s official outdoor drama—Liberty! The Saga of Sycamore Shoals
- Doe River Covered Bridge
- Elizabethton Golf Course
- Three annual festivals
- Two outdoor concert series
- Classic Car Show
- Hiking on Appalachian Trail
- Biking on Tweetsie Trail
- Fishing on Watauga Lake and Watauga River
Shopping in Elizabethton
Pickers peruse Downtown Elizabethton’s antique shops while foodies relish in the culinary diversity. Residents can rejoice in a rural setting, while being within a 20-minute drive to Johnson City’s retail districts.
“We returned for years for festivals and to see friends. Finally, we realized this is our home, too. We’re blessed to be surrounded by wonderful people, entertainment, activities and mountainous scenery.”
Examples of Living in Carter County
With an average precipitation level of 54”, Carter County is a good location for gardeners. The average summer high temperature is 89 degrees, with the low at 62. Winter temperatures average 41 for the high and 27 for the low in the month of January.