Learn more about Bledsoe Creek State Park.
Bledsoe Creek State Park is a 164-acre, historically significant site on the Bledsoe Creek embayment of the Old Hickory Reservoir near the 1780s settlement of Cairo. It is a popular site for hiking, camping, boating and fishing.
The park is surrounded by significant historic sites—and a prehistoric one. Nearby are former stagecoach stop Wynnewood, the largest log structure in Tennessee, and Cragfont, the 1802 home of the eventual founder of Memphis, James Winchester. The Castallian Springs Mississippian Tradition Mound site is also nearby, though not developed for visitation. Anthony Bledsoe had commanded Fort Patrick Henry in Virginia during the French and Indian War and was appointed to lead a surveying party into Middle Tennessee. His brother, Isaac, a long hunter and war veteran, followed and began building a fort close to protect settlers from hostile Indians. The flood of settlers caused conflict with the Chickamaugas, and Bledsoe and his brother were eventually killed by this renegade band of Cherokee. Bledsoe’s Lick was a source of water for animals and for hunters, and the fort was a stop along Avery’s Trace, a major road into middle Tennessee. The inn at Bledsoe’s Station saw a variety of guests, including a future king of France.
400 Zieglers Fort Road
Gallatin, TN 37066